Irish, Purdue extend series through '21

0 Comments

This past summer, there were rumors that Notre Dame was looking to tweak its long-standing series with Purdue.  Specifically, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said the Irish were looking to turn the “rivalry” into an every-other-year event.

As it turns out, Alvarez was very wrong.

According to a press release issued by Purdue, the Boilermakers and Irish have extended the series through 2021.  The new agreement extends a contract that wasn’t set to expire until 215.

“Purdue and Notre Dame is one of the great matchups in college football,” Purdue athletics director Morgan Burke said in a statement. “As an independent, Notre Dame is faced with many scheduling challenges, and I thank (director of athletics) Jack Swarbrick for his efforts in ensuring the series will continue.”

Including this season’s game, the Boilermakers and Fighting Irish have met every year since 1946 – 64 straight years – and 81 times overall, dating to 1896.

“The atmosphere at our game this season epitomizes what the Purdue-Notre Dame game is all about,” Purdue head coach Danny Hope said. “It was electric at Ross-Ade Stadium. Notre Dame is one of the preeminent programs in college football, and we are excited to continue playing them.”

Arizona State hires Beau Baldwin as offensive coordinator

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State has hired former Cal Poly head coach Beau Baldwin as its next offensive coordinator.

The school announced Baldwin’s hiring of new coach Kenny Dillingham‘s staff a week after he resigned at Cal Poly.

The 50-year-old Baldwin spent three seasons as the Mustangs’ head coach, going 4-21.

Baldwin previously served as California’s offensive coordinator for three years after a nine-year stint as Eastern Washington’s head coach. He went 85-32 at Eastern Washington and won the 2010 national championship with three trips to the FCS semifinals.

Baldwin also served as Central Washington’s head coach in 2007.

Stanford QB Tanner McKee declares for NFL draft

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee is leaving school to enter the NFL draft.

McKee announced his decision on Thursday after a disappointing junior season on an overmatched Stanford team.

McKee completed 62% of his passes for 2,947 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions this season as Stanford went 3-9 for a second straight year.

Stanford will undergoing an overhaul with coach David Shaw stepping down after 12 seasons and several players expected to transfer.