Today could be D-Day for Gamecocks' NCAA 'issue'

0 Comments

By the end of business Tuesday, South Carolina could have a firmer grasp on which players will or won’t be available for the season opener.  And beyond.

The Charleston Post & Courier reports that the school is expecting a decision from the NCAA this week, perhaps as early as today, regarding a two-pronged investigation involving several members of the football team.  Head coach Steve Spurrier said last week that he expected at least a couple of players to miss at least the opener — if not more — and that certainly still seems to be the case.

Based on various media accounts, at least three players appear to be in the most jeopardy of being suspended for the Thursday opener.  Tight end Weslye Saunders, along with defensive backs Akeem Auguste and C.C. Whitlock have been deemed the most likely to be at risk of receiving a stiff punishment from the NCAA for their reduced-rate stay at a local hotel and falling behind on said reduced rates.

Additionally, Saunders is deeply tied to the agent part of the investigation in which the senior’s trips to South Beach and Washington D.C. this offseason have come under scrutiny.  The State reported this morning that the Gamecocks coaching staff has been preparing for the possibility that Saunders will be suspended for the entire season.

Both papers are also reporting that Spurrier could announce the NCAA’s ruling on his radio show tonight if the decision does indeed come down from on high.