One Gamecock cleared, status of another undetermined

0 Comments

In acknowledging Thursday that they had received an official Notice of Inquiry from the NCAA, South Carolina at the time said in their press release that they were uncertain of the status of a pair of players for this weekend’s conference opener.

According to another release, that uncertainty has been cut in half.

The Gamecocks officially announced Friday that seniorcornerback Chris Culliver has been cleared to play in Saturday’s SEC opener againstGeorgia.  Culliver had been held out of last Thursday’s season opener, apparently due to issues the NCAA had with an insurance policy he had taken out on himself to protect his draft status against injury.

While Culliver’s status has been ironed out, the same can’t be said for Jarriel King.

As of noon today, the latest release said, there was no official update on the status of the offensive tackle.

Like Culliver, King was held out of last week’s game; unlike Culliver, King was held out due to issues still remaining about his living arrangements at a local hotel.

The Charleston Post & Courier reports that the feeling amongst Gamecock officials is King will be held out at least an additional week.