Texas A&M-to-SEC rumors can be put to bed… for now

0 Comments

For those who haven’t heard, there was a minor spectacle circulating the rumors and message boards today that Texas A&M was all but finished packing their bags and on their way to the SEC — the only remaining question at the time being how long the Aggies would hold up a certain “one finger salute” on the way out the door.

Well, according to a very, very credible beat writer, those bags can stay put for just a little bit longer.

In multiple tweets, San Antonio Express-News and Houston Chronicle beat writer Brent Zwerneman said that previous A&M-to-the-SEC rumors are largely unfounded, and for the time being, the Aggies are a proud member of the Big 12.

“High-ranking A&M official just told me there have been ‘no precipitating events that have led to today’s rumors & speculations’ about SEC.

“High-ranking A&M official also said there will be ‘no imminent announcement or anything of that matter’ concerning the SEC.

“A&M official was mum on whether something might happen with the SEC at some point, citing Ags’ general unhappiness with the Big 12 right now.”

For those of you who sing the Aggie War Hymn with great pride, we’ll allow you to take a few moments to digest this bit of news.

Better? No? Okay, well, we tried.

For the past several weeks, whispers that A&M was on its way to the SEC  in light of their supposedly re-aroused hatred for everything “tu” and the Longhorn Network have slowly been making their way through the college football rumor mill, so it was only a matter of time before something like this came to the top.

We’ve been told that A&M officials and those from the SEC have been in occasional contact since June of last year, but obviously, the Aggies do not control their conference affiliation destiny.

Unless SEC commissioner Mike Slive pulls the trigger right away, it might be time to temper those A&M-to-the-SEC rumors. We’re not saying it couldn’t happen, but the puppet master isn’t residing in College Station.

Miami fires offensive coordinator Josh Gattis after 1 season

josh gattis fired
Reinhold Matay/USA TODAY Sports
2 Comments

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Miami fired offensive coordinator Josh Gattis on Friday, ending the former Broyles Award winner’s time with the Hurricanes after only one season.

The school announced the move in a one-sentence press release, with no other detail: “Josh Gattis has been relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator, Miami head football coach Mario Cristobal announced Friday,” read the release, sent from a university spokesman.

The Hurricanes went 5-7 in Gattis’ lone season. He was brought in by Miami only a few weeks after winning the 2021 Broyles Award – given to the nation’s top assistant coach – while serving as Michigan’s offensive coordinator and helping the Wolverines reach the College Football Playoff.

But Miami’s offense, for a number of reasons, failed to meet expectations in 2022. Part of that was injuries; starting quarterback Tyler Van Dyke battled a shoulder injury, and the Hurricanes turned to Jake Garcia – who has since transferred – and Jacurri Brown for much of the season.

Miami scored 100 points in its first two games last fall, overpowering Bethune-Cookman and Southern Miss. The Hurricanes averaged only 18.3 points the rest of the way, and finished the year 5-0 in games where the defense allowed no more than 14 points – but 0-7 when opponents scored more than 14.

Miami was 86th nationally in total offense last season, averaging 367.1 yards per game, and 97th in scoring offense.

Gattis played at Wake Forest and worked at North Carolina, Western Michigan, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Alabama and Michigan before coming to Miami.

Audit: LSU discovered $1M overpayment to Kelly in 2022

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
5 Comments

BATON ROUGE, La. – LSU accidentally overpaid Tigers football coach Brian Kelly by $1 million during the first year of a 10-year, $100 million contract, but discovered the error and has moved to correct it, the Louisiana Legislative Auditor’s office said Wednesday.

Kelly was overpaid $1,001,368 in supplemental payments in 2022 because duplicate payments made both to Kelly’s LLC and to the coach directly.

The double payments began in May and continued until LSU officials detected the errors in November.

“LSU management and the head football coach have enacted an adjusted payment schedule so the amount of overpayment will be recouped by the conclusion of fiscal year 2023,” the Legislative Auditor’s report stated.

Kelly, who previously coached at Notre Dame for 12 seasons, was hired by LSU after the 2021 season, when the Tigers went 6-7 for its first losing season since 1999.

LSU exceeded expectations in Kelly’s first season in Baton Rouge, winning the SEC West Division and finishing 10-4 after a 63-7 victory over Purdue in the Citrus Bowl.