Locker rooms broken into, items stolen during LSU-WVU game


Despite losing 47-21 to LSU — who, as we and the AP voters agree, is playing the best football right now — West Virginia had plenty of reasons for optimism after its first ever appearance on College GameDay and Saturday Night Football. A crowd of over 13,000 fans and students packed into the Mountainlair plaza and fraternity row for GameDay filming, and a sellout of over 60,000 filled Milan Puskar Stadium.

But, as many of us know, it only takes the actions of a few to garner a poor reputation, and generally, we tend to remember trashy behavior over congeniality. So when word began circulating on Sunday that someone (or multiple thefts) broke into the lockers rooms during the game, even Chris Berman rumbled “C’mon, man!”

Okay, not really, but you get what we’re sayin’.

WVU officials have confirmed to the Charleston Daily Mail has that an unidentified number of items were stolen from the locker rooms during the game. Assistant athletic director for communications Mike Fragale wouldn’t specify what was taken or from whom, but did acknowledge there was an incident.

Police are currently investigating the matter.

West Virginia’s tight end/inside receiver Tyler Urban tweeted after the game that his phone had been taken, although those tweets appear to have been removed.

Coach Dana Holgorsen said that the matter was being handled internally and had no other comment to the Daily Mail.

Details of the investigation are very sparse. In fairness, we don’t know if this was a West Virginia fan, an LSU fan or even a fan at all — although a very reliable source close to the situation has informed us that the whoever was involved is, indeed, a knucklehead.

This isn’t just a West Virginia problem; it can happen anywhere. It’s a small hiccup in what was otherwise a great showing by both schools, but it’s juvenile, and unfortunately, gathering negative attention.

WVU RB Donaldson in concussion protocol, out for Baylor game

west virginia football
Lee Coleman/Getty Images

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) West Virginia running back CJ Donaldson is in concussion protocol and will miss next week’s home game with Baylor after he was injured in a loss to Texas, coach Neal Brown said Tuesday.

Donaldson remained on the ground after he was tackled on a short gain in the third quarter of Saturday’s 38-20 loss to the Longhorns. His helmet and shoulder pads were removed and he was carted off the field on a stretcher. After the game he was cleared to travel home with the team.

“He’s recovering,” Brown said. “There is a strict return-to-play (policy) that we have to follow here and I’m zero involved in it. All I do is ask the question. They don’t even start the return-to-play until they’re symptom free.”

Donaldson, a 240-pound freshman, leads the Mountaineers with 389 rushing yards and six touchdowns, with an average of 6.9 yards per carry.

West Virginia (2-3, 0-2 Big 12 Conference) is idle this week and hosts Baylor (3-2, 1-1) next Thursday, Oct. 13.

Taulia Tagovailoa says he visited brother, Tua, over weekend

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa was able to visit his brother, Tua, last weekend after the Terrapins’ game against Michigan State, he said Tuesday in his first comments to reporters since Tua left the Miami Dolphins’ game against Cincinnati last Thursday with a frightening head injury.

Taulia played in Maryland’s win over Michigan State on Saturday but was not made available to the media afterward. He said Tuesday he was able to go to Florida and spend some time with his brother, who suffered a concussion four days after taking a hit in another game but was cleared to return.

“He’s doing good, everything’s fine,” he said. “My biggest thing was just seeing him and spending as much time as I can with him. I came back Sunday night.”

Tagovailoa said he appreciates the support for his brother.

“My brother’s my heart. He’s someone I look up to, someone I talk to every day,” he said. “It was just a hard scene for me to see that.”

Tagovailoa said he was in constant contact with his mother about his brother’s situation, and he was finally able to talk to Tua on Friday night.

“I really just wanted to go there and just spend time with my family, hug them and stuff like that,” Taulia Tagovailoa said. “But he told me he’s a big fan of us, and he’d rather watch me play on Saturday. … After that phone call, I was happy and getting back to my normal routine.”

Tagovailoa indicated that his brother’s injury didn’t make him too nervous about his own health when he took the field again.

“I guess when that happens to someone like my brother, or when anything happens to one of my family members, I don’t really think of how it will be able to affect me,” he said. “I just think of: `Is he OK? How’s he doing?”‘

Although it was a short visit to Florida, he said he and Tua made the most of their chance to be together.

“I just wanted to make sure he’s healthy and stuff, which he is,” Taulia Tagovailoa said.