Kelly apologizes for comments made about players

0 Comments

A season that began with BCS aspirations has now turned into a week-to-week struggle to survive for Notre Dame. A 31-17 loss at the hands of USC in which the Irish, again, turned the ball over multiple times prompted a handful of Trojans — namely Chris Galippo and Matt Barkley — to proclaim that the Irish “quit” before the game was over.

This week has already been filled with questions as to whether the Golden Domers are on the right track, and by head coach Brian Kelly‘s own admission, they’re a far cry from it. But Kelly created some internal controversy this week sparked from comments made after Thursday’s practice in which he drew a line between his players and the ones that remain from the Charlie Weis era.

You can see the players that I recruited here,” Kelly said Thursday. “You know who they are. We’ve had one class … that I’ve had my hand on. The other guys here are coming along. But it’s a process. It can’t happen overnight. They’re getting there. We’re making good progress.”

The comments reportedly did not sit well with some of the older players — the Weis recruits, if you will — who took to Twitter to vent their frustration. Junior linebacker Manti Te'o tweeted “Playin for my bros and that’s it!!!!”

It apparently got so bad that some of those veteran players addressed Kelly directly about his comments during a team meeting Friday, sources told the Chicago Tribune.  In response, Kelly gave what was reported to be a sincere apology.

Whether this Irish team has moved past the incident or not isn’t fully known yet. A good Litmus test will be today’s game against Navy; the Midshipmen have won three out of the last four meetings after decades of futility against the Irish. Times are definitely tough for Notre Dame right now, but chemistry growing pains are almost always part of the process with a newer head coach.

Comments like these can get overblown, but second-year coach or not, Kelly’s team is at a season-defining point at 4-3. BCS hopes are gone, so now Kelly has to find ways to keep his team motivated to play each week. If Notre Dame is going to accomplish anything this season, Kelly has to ditch the “my guys” attitude and project cohesiveness, especially to his players.

Arizona State hires Beau Baldwin as offensive coordinator

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State has hired former Cal Poly head coach Beau Baldwin as its next offensive coordinator.

The school announced Baldwin’s hiring of new coach Kenny Dillingham‘s staff a week after he resigned at Cal Poly.

The 50-year-old Baldwin spent three seasons as the Mustangs’ head coach, going 4-21.

Baldwin previously served as California’s offensive coordinator for three years after a nine-year stint as Eastern Washington’s head coach. He went 85-32 at Eastern Washington and won the 2010 national championship with three trips to the FCS semifinals.

Baldwin also served as Central Washington’s head coach in 2007.

Stanford QB Tanner McKee declares for NFL draft

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee is leaving school to enter the NFL draft.

McKee announced his decision on Thursday after a disappointing junior season on an overmatched Stanford team.

McKee completed 62% of his passes for 2,947 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions this season as Stanford went 3-9 for a second straight year.

Stanford will undergoing an overhaul with coach David Shaw stepping down after 12 seasons and several players expected to transfer.