The mass early exodus from Baton Rouge continues today, with a trio of Bayou Bengals confirming what’s long been expected.
In a joint announcement, LSU confirmed that Bennie Logan, Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery have decided to forego their remaining collegiate eligibility and make their way to the April NFL draft. The former is a defensive tackle, while the latter two are defensive ends.
Mingo and Montgomery are viewed as mid-first-round picks, with the former possibly destined for the top 10. Logan, at the moment, appears to be slotted in the neighborhood of the second round.
“We are fortunate at LSU to be able to recruit the style of high school player that can develop very quickly into an NFL caliber athlete,” head coach Les Miles said in a statement. “The good fortune is that we invest in them, coach them and prepare them for the next step of their career. Generally speaking, every one of these guys is in position to return to school (during the offseason) to get their degree and one (Kevin Minter) has already graduated.
“We recruit very talented players with the understanding that there’s a choice that they may have to make following their junior year. It’s an individual decision and one that has to do with them and their family. I met with each player and provided them with as much information as I have so that they can make a quality decision in regards to their future. We wish these guys great fortune as they pursue this next step.”
Montgomery was a first-team All-American in 2011 and named to the second team in 2012, while Mingo was twice named second-team All-SEC.
With the defensive line trio departing, the Tigers have now lost nine players from their 2012 squad and there still might be at least one more departure. Included in that grouping are six defensive starters from a unit that finished eighth in scoring defense and 12th in total defense.
Even for a team deep in talent, that’ll be a tough row to hoe in 2013.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Alabama outside linebacker Will Anderson Jr. has become the second two-time winner of the Bronko Nagurski Award given to the nation’s top collegiate defensive player.
Anderson was presented the award on Monday night by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
The 6-foot-4, 243-pound Anderson had 10 sacks for the No. 5-ranked Crimson Tide this season. He also won the award last year after recording 17 1/2 sacks.
Anderson, a junior, had two sacks in Alabama’s regular-season win finale against rival Auburn and had his first touchdown when he returned an interception 25 yards against Louisiana-Monroe.
Anderson joins former Northwestern linebacker Pat Fitzgerald as the only two-time winner of the award. Fitzgerald won the award in 1995 and 1996 and later went on to become the head coach at Northwestern.
It’s unclear if Anderson will enter the NFL draft or return to Alabama next season.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis, the fourth player in school history to account for 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns in a single season, is staying in school for his senior year.
Travis made the announcement Monday, the same day hundreds of players across the nation entered the NCAA transfer portal or declared for the NFL draft. Travis chose a different path and could be an early favorite in next year’s Heisman Trophy race.
“So many memories have been made on this field and we’re not done yet,” Travis said in a highlight video posted on social media. “See y’all in 2023.”
A fourth-year junior, Travis has 22 touchdown passes to go along with seven rushing scores, one receiving and just four interceptions. He has led the 13th-ranked Seminoles (9-3) to five consecutive wins as they prepare to play Oklahoma (6-6) in the Cheez-It Bowl on Dec. 29 in Orlando.
Travis joined FSU’s three Heisman Trophy winners – Charlie Ward in 1993, Chris Weinke in 2000 and Jameis Winston in 2013 – to account for 3,000 yards and 30 TDs in a season. He is one of six QBs in Power Five conferences with at least 20 TD passes and four or fewer interceptions.