Would the last LSU underclassmen please hit the lights on the way out?
As first reported by the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the father of offensive lineman Chris Faulk confirmed to WWL-TV that his son has decided to leave the Tigers and make himself available for the draft. The dad said “the family left the decision completely up to Chris, and he filed his paperwork [for early entry into the draft] with the league today.”
LSU has yet to issue a release on Faulk’s future, although could be due to a backlog of early declarations.
The move is somewhat surprising as Faulk suffered a season-ending knee injury in practice the week after the 2012 opener. In his first season as a starter in 2011, Faulk played well enough to earn second-team All-SEC honors as well as project as a potential first-round pick in the future.
As far as how he’s progressed from what was labeled as a significant injury, the Times-Picayune writes that “LSU Coach Les Miles said earlier in the season Faulk was ahead of his rehab schedule and would be ready for spring practice.” How the injury will impact his draft stock remains unclear.
With Faulk’s apparent departure, there are now 10 Tigers with eligibility remaining who have decided to forego it for the NFL. Included in that total are six defensive starters. Below is the complete list of what’s believed to be a record number of underclassmen departures for a single school in a single year:
— Chris Faulk, offensive lineman
— Michael Ford, running back
— Bennie Logan, defensive lineman
— Barkevious Mingo, defensive lineman
— Kevin Minter, linebacker
— Sam Montgomery, defensive lineman
— Eric Reid, defensive back
— Tharold Simon, defensive back
— Spencer Ware, running back
— Brad Wing, punter
(Photo credit: LSU athletics)
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Alabama outside linebacker Will Anderson Jr. has become the second two-time winner of the Bronko Nagurski Award given to the nation’s top collegiate defensive player.
Anderson was presented the award on Monday night by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
The 6-foot-4, 243-pound Anderson had 10 sacks for the No. 5-ranked Crimson Tide this season. He also won the award last year after recording 17 1/2 sacks.
Anderson, a junior, had two sacks in Alabama’s regular-season win finale against rival Auburn and had his first touchdown when he returned an interception 25 yards against Louisiana-Monroe.
Anderson joins former Northwestern linebacker Pat Fitzgerald as the only two-time winner of the award. Fitzgerald won the award in 1995 and 1996 and later went on to become the head coach at Northwestern.
It’s unclear if Anderson will enter the NFL draft or return to Alabama next season.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis, the fourth player in school history to account for 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns in a single season, is staying in school for his senior year.
Travis made the announcement Monday, the same day hundreds of players across the nation entered the NCAA transfer portal or declared for the NFL draft. Travis chose a different path and could be an early favorite in next year’s Heisman Trophy race.
“So many memories have been made on this field and we’re not done yet,” Travis said in a highlight video posted on social media. “See y’all in 2023.”
A fourth-year junior, Travis has 22 touchdown passes to go along with seven rushing scores, one receiving and just four interceptions. He has led the 13th-ranked Seminoles (9-3) to five consecutive wins as they prepare to play Oklahoma (6-6) in the Cheez-It Bowl on Dec. 29 in Orlando.
Travis joined FSU’s three Heisman Trophy winners – Charlie Ward in 1993, Chris Weinke in 2000 and Jameis Winston in 2013 – to account for 3,000 yards and 30 TDs in a season. He is one of six QBs in Power Five conferences with at least 20 TD passes and four or fewer interceptions.