Garrick McGee says he was told to stay quiet about UAB shutdown plans in 2013

0 Comments

If you thought the shutting down of the UAB football program was already messy enough, think again. Former UAB head coach Garrick McGee reportedly knew about the realistic possibility of shutting down the Blazers program in 2013, and he was told to keep quiet about the discussions.

McGee’s comments on the UAB situation came through a private Twitter conversation with an anonymous UAB supporter, but the screen shots of the conversation have gone public. You can see the images of the conversation, which took place just before Thanksgiving of last fall, via Underdog Dynasty.

Asked if he was tipped off about the plan to shut down the program while still the head coach of the Blazers, McGee replied “Yes.” McGee was let go as head coach at the end of the 2013 season, and in January he joined the Louisville coaching staff as an offensive coordinator. In the Twitter exchange, McGee suggested the Alabama board was conducting a significant coverup. Following the conversation, McGee shows some regret sharing as much information as he had, although it appears his intentions were nothing but supportive of the football program continuing.

Personally, I view information exchanged via Twitter direct messages as being off the record. I would never share information I am given when that conversation takes place through direct messages, unless given permission to use it as I wish. So I can only imagine McGee shared that information with the expectation it would have remained private. That was not the case, although whether his opinions and information would have changed anything is unlikely.

The damage appears to have been done and no coach, past or present, was going to change that.

I

Arizona State hires Beau Baldwin as offensive coordinator

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State has hired former Cal Poly head coach Beau Baldwin as its next offensive coordinator.

The school announced Baldwin’s hiring of new coach Kenny Dillingham‘s staff a week after he resigned at Cal Poly.

The 50-year-old Baldwin spent three seasons as the Mustangs’ head coach, going 4-21.

Baldwin previously served as California’s offensive coordinator for three years after a nine-year stint as Eastern Washington’s head coach. He went 85-32 at Eastern Washington and won the 2010 national championship with three trips to the FCS semifinals.

Baldwin also served as Central Washington’s head coach in 2007.

Stanford QB Tanner McKee declares for NFL draft

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee is leaving school to enter the NFL draft.

McKee announced his decision on Thursday after a disappointing junior season on an overmatched Stanford team.

McKee completed 62% of his passes for 2,947 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions this season as Stanford went 3-9 for a second straight year.

Stanford will undergoing an overhaul with coach David Shaw stepping down after 12 seasons and several players expected to transfer.