Georgia’s Anderson investigated for alleged rape, suspended

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ATLANTA- Georgia linebacker Adam Anderson‘s senior season is on hold while he is being investigated by Athens police on a rape allegation.

No charges have been filed, but Anderson has been suspended and will not play in No. 1 Georgia’s game against Missouri on Saturday, according to his attorney, Steve Sadow.

Sadow told The Associated Press that Anderson was suspended by Georgia “pending the investigation.”

According to an Athens-Clarke County Police incident report obtained by The Associated Press, a 21-year-old woman reported the alleged rape Oct. 29.

According to the incident report, she told police she went to an Athens residence on Oct. 29 after having some drinks and woke up on a bed while Anderson was having sexual intercourse with her.

The woman told officers the sex was not consensual and that she was able to leave the residence.

Athens-Clarke County Police Lt. Shaun Barnett told the AP: “The investigation is still ongoing.”

The day after the alleged incident, Anderson had seven tackles in Georgia’s 34-7 win over Florida in Jacksonville, Florida.

Sadow, said Anderson denies the allegation.

“Adam denies in the strongest terms possible the unfounded and unsupported allegations of sexual misconduct,” Sadow said in a statement released to the AP.

Added Sadow: “In the interest of justice and fairness, Adam hopes and prays the UGA community and the public keep an open mind and not prejudge him based on inconsistent, unsubstantiated and baseless accusations.”

Georgia coach Kirby Smart said in a statement released on Thursday: “We are aware of the report and we don’t comment on law enforcement matters, but I’ve been clear about the high standards we have for our student-athletes on and off the field. I will be working closely with our administration to ensure we cooperate fully with all law enforcement and campus protocols.”

Georgia officials would not confirm Anderson has been suspended indefinitely.

Anderson, a senior, leads the Bulldogs with five sacks. He ranks fifth on the team with 32 tackles.

Anderson is a key starter for a defense which leads the nation with its average of only 6.6 points allowed. His absence could impact the Bulldogs’ hopes of winning their first national championship since 1980.

Georgia claimed the top spot in this week’s first College Football Playoff ranking. It already has clinched a berth in the Southeastern Conference championship game on Dec. 4 in Atlanta.

Clemson gives raises, contract extensions to staff

Ken Ruinard/USA TODAY NETWORK
0 Comments

CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson’s board of trustees approved raises for special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach Mike Reed and defensive tackles coach Nick Eason.

Reed and Eason also received one-year extensions keeping them tied to the Tigers through Jan. 31, 2026.

Reed, who’s been with the Tigers since 2013, had his yearly salary increased $50,000 to $800,000. Eason, the former Clemson standout defensive lineman, joined the staff this past season. He also had his compensation upped by $50,000 to $800,000.

Seven other assistants were given one-year extensions by the trustees’ compensation committee, but without a raise in salary.

Co-defensive coordinators Wes Goodwin and Mickey Conn had their contracts extended through Jan. 31, 2026.

Defensive ends coach Lemanski Hall, tight ends coach Kyle Richardson, offensive line coach Thomas Austin, running backs coach C.J. Spiller and wide receivers coach Tyler Grisham all got one-year extensions through Jan. 31, 2025.

New offensive coordinator Garrett Riley last month received a three-year contract at $1.75 million per season.

Clemson will pay its 10 on-field assistants $7.475 million this season, an increase of $925,000 from the total for 2022.

The Tigers went 11-3 last season, winning the Atlantic Coast Conference title for the seventh time in the past eight seasons.

South Carolina’s Beamer suspends three freshmen from program

south carolina basketball
Corey Perrine/USA TODAY NETWORK
0 Comments

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Shane Beamer said freshmen Monteque Rhames II, Anthony Rose and Cameron Upshaw were suspended from the football program.

There was no reason given for the suspensions in the school’s statement Friday. Online records showed Rhames, 18, was booked last night and was being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on charges of carrying weapons on school property and obstructing justice.

“Our student-athletes know what is expected of them,” Beamer said. “They know that both the university and the football program will hold them accountable for their actions and decisions.”

None of the three have played for the Gamecocks.

Rose is a 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back from Miami who enrolled in January 2022 and redshirted this season. Rhames and Upshaw were part of South Carolina’s latest recruiting class and enrolled last month.

Rhames is a 6-5, 235-pound defensive lineman from Sumter and Upshaw is a 6-2, 193-pound safety from Perry, Florida.